The South Roscommon FRC was set up in November 2019 with the employment of Sarah Brennan who is the co-ordinator of the Centre, followed by the employment of Felicia Loughrey in March 2020 who is our family support/community development worker. Faye Hayden is also part of our team. Faye is the Young Carers Project Leader for County Roscommon. We got the keys for our new base in 17 Castle View, Castle Street, Roscommon Town in April and were delighted to physically move in June 2020 once some COVID restrictions were lifted.
A Family Resource Centre is a centre that organises activities, groups and other relevant supports based on the needs of the local community. It is called using a bottom up approach and all FRC’s (there are 121 around the country) operate in this manner. This means that the people living in the local area, agencies working with individuals, families and communities living in the local area inform us of the needs of the locality and our workplan in the FRC responds to these needs.
Examples of what we can do include (this list is not inclusive):
- Parenting Courses and Supports
- Supports for people feeling isolated and lonely
- Supports for people with mental health needs
- Information Provision
- Referral and Signposting to other agencies
- Personal Development and Growth
- Supports for families going through difficult time
- Housing Supports
- Developing the capacity of local individuals and communities
- Support Groups e.g. Parent & Toddler Groups, women’s groups, men’s groups, older peoples groups etc
- Developing and delivering training programmes
- Ensuring issues affecting the local community are being brought to the relevant policy maker’s attention.
All supports are confidential.
At the moment some of our supports on virtual using the zoom platform. If you see something you are interested in but If you do not know how to work zoom, please let us know and we can walk you through it with your device. It is not only useful for us working with the community, but it also a very useful tool for keeping in touch with family members and friends who are not living near us.
The FRC phone number is 09066 28621 and the general email address is firstname.lastname@example.org